[Tutor] DB design

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 12:27:11 CET 2005

Hi,

> Anyway, why don't you tell us more about what you are trying to do and we can give better suggestions.
>
> Kent

I told you it was vague. ; )

Ok, so if you'll tolerate some bad ASCII, I've been narrowing down
what I want to do, and I think it's like this.

                          __________________________________
                          |                    Gui

                          |_________________________________|
                                    |                             |
                                    |                             |
                        _______v___________     __ |______
                        |                               |     |   Parser  |
                        |   PySQLite wrapper  |  ? |________|
                        |__________________|         |
                                   |                              |
                                   |                              |
                                   |                              |
                       ______V_____________       /
                       |                                  |      /
                       |         DB                    |___/
                       |___________________|

So, GUI generates requests for info/enters info, wrapper translates
them into SQL, and DB responds, either directly to GUI or through
parser. Not sure if I'll need to parse anything.

Database organised -

Client details ---- Jobs ---- Finances
                           |                     |
                           |                     Costs
                         Resolutions

It will go by client#/  and job# to reference various bits.

To be totally honest, I haven't the faintest idea how to go about this.
I think I want go OOP for this, especially when submitting requests to
the wrapper.
First I gotta figure out how to use PySQLite... what's a cursor?

Regards,

Liam Clarke
'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.