[Tutor] Re: Data storage, SQL?

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip at lug-delhi.org
Sat Feb 12 10:27:21 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:09:10 +1300, Liam Clarke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to create a prog that will store disparate bits of info
> all linked together, i.e. address details for a person, transaction
> records, specific themes, and the ability to search by certain
> criteria, so I'm pretty sure I want a database.
>
> Can anyone recommend a useful database library for Python that's not
> too complex?
> Also, I keep hearing about SQL, would this be the best way to go? I
> don't know much about databases.

You can take a look at sqlite
(http://www.sqlite.org/). It doesn't require a client
server setup, and offers you the same sql syntax for manipulating data on
it.

Some amazing facts about this from the website:

[...]
SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained,
embeddable, zero-configuration SQL database engine. Features include:

* Transactions are atomic, consistent, isolated, and durable  (ACID)
    even after system crashes and power failures.
* Zero-configuration - no setup or administration needed.
* Implements most of SQL92.
* A complete database is stored in a single disk file.
* Database files can be freely shared between machines with
  different byte orders.
* Supports databases up to 2 terabytes (2^41 bytes) in size.
* Sizes of strings and BLOBs limited only by available memory.
* Small code footprint: less than 30K lines of C code, less
    than 250KB code space (gcc on i486)
* Faster than popular  client/server database engines
  for most common operations.
* Simple, easy to use API.
* Well-commented source code with over 95% test coverage.
* Self-contained: no external dependencies.
* Sources are in the public domain. Use for any purpose.

The SQLite distribution comes with a standalone command-line access
program (sqlite) that can be used to administer an SQLite database and
which serves as an example of how to use the SQLite library.

[...]

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip at puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com   *    Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3