[Tutor] Are you allowed to shoot camels? [kinda OT]

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 23:47:21 CET 2005

> I also disagree about the symbology.  I am never confused by it.

I'll believe you, but its interesting that computer scientists
have done lots of studies to test people's comprehension of programs
and in every single case there has been clear evidence that
additional prefixes/characters etc obscure undestanding. Even
by those who thought they were fluent in the language concerned.

Check the book Code Complete for some references, or try searching
the Software Engineering Institute stuff at CMU.

Its like the old argument in C over whether

int f(){
   blah()
   }

or

int f()
{
   blah()
}

was clearer. Many people claim to prefer the second but
objective testing repeatedly shows that the first form
produces measurably better results.

In both of these cases its not about style its about what works.
I suspect Guido was aware of that research and applied it to
Python's design. Larry wasn't and didn't... (although he sure
is now! :-)

Alan G.