[Tutor] Network Programming Information and terminology

Byron byron at christianfreebies.com
Mon Aug 22 06:37:27 CEST 2005

Hi John,

Here is a link that you might find useful:
*http://compnetworking.about.com/od/basicnetworkingconcepts/*

---

Listed below are two very basic Python IM programs.  You'll need to run
the server first -- let it run in the background.  Once this is running,
start the second program, which allows you to type in a message and then
the server program will acknowledge the reception of the data and then
send a message back to you.

---

# PYTHON SERVER

import socket

# Create connection.
mySocket = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
mySocket.bind(('', 2727))

while True:
	# Get data coming in from client.
	data, client = mySocket.recvfrom(100)
	print 'We have received a datagram from', client, '.'
	print data

	# Send a response to confirm reception!
	mySocket.sendto ( 'Message confirmed: ' + data, client )

---

# Client program

from socket import *

# Set the socket parameters
host = "127.0.0.1"
port = 2727
buf = 1024
addr = (host,port)

# Create socket
UDPSock = socket(AF_INET,SOCK_DGRAM)

def_msg = "===Enter message to send to server===";
print "\n", def_msg

# Send messages
while (1):
	data = raw_input('>> ')
	if not data:
		break
	else:
		if(UDPSock.sendto(data,addr)):
			print "Sending message '",data,"'....."

	# Receive the response back from the server.
	data, client = UDPSock.recvfrom(100)
	print data

# Close socket
UDPSock.close()