[Tutor] str.split and quotes

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Apr 11 22:55:22 CEST 2005

Alberto Troiano wrote:
> Thanks Kent but now I need you to explain me the code :(

That code won't work for you. It is for timing how long it takes to do something, not for generating
repeated events.

> To give you a graphic example how can make this function to run every 5
> seconds
>
> def foo():
>
>     print "Hello world!"

Here is a Tkinter program that updates the text of a label every second. It uses the root.after()
method to schedule a callback. Since it is a one-time callback, the callback reschedules itself each
time it is called.

This is not a great example of code structure but it is simple and demonstrates the concept.

from Tkinter import *

count = 0

def update():
     ''' Callback method updates the label '''
     global count
     count += 1
     label.configure(text=str(count))

     # Schedule another callback
     root.after(1000, update)

root=Tk()
label=Label(root,text="0")
label.pack()

b=Button(root,text="Bye",command='exit')
b.pack()

# Schedule the initial callback
root.after(1000, update)

root.mainloop()