[Tutor] Advice on storing data

nick at javacat.f2s.com nick at javacat.f2s.com
Tue Sep 28 10:22:53 CEST 2004

Hi folks,

if this isn't too far off topic I'd just like some advice please.

Here at work we regularly get in contact with hardware/software suppliers to
report bugs/problems etc, and the problem and related fix info is kept in a
book !!

Im thinking of making a software version of this book, so that a user can search
past problems and see what was done to resolve it.

Only problem is I cant really use a database to store the data, so I guess a
text file is the only way ? The text file is likely to be a couple of megs in
size.
Also when the program runs would it be best for the program to read the whole
text file into a dictionary then search the dictionary ? Or search the text
file, and create a dictionary from the closes matches, then maybe search the
dictionary again for more exact matches ?

I realise this is quite an open question, but I'd appreciate any info on the
best non-database way to approach this problem.

Many thanks
Nick.