[Tutor] A Telnet problem

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Mon Sep 6 01:11:39 CEST 2004

Rumor has it that W X Liu may have mentioned these words:
>Quoting Roger Merchberger <zmerch at 30below.com>:

[snip]

> > And this... Are you *sure* that the server's hosted on a Winders PC &
> > *requires* a Winders line-ending? Most telnet servers don't...
>
>What's Winders line ending?

Winders is slang for Microsoft Windows. The codes it uses to signify the
end of a line are '\r\n'. Linux, on the other hand, only uses '\n' to
signify the end of a line. MacOS 8/9/X use '\r', if I'm not mistaken, but
it's been a *long* time since I worked on that platform, and have never
programmed on one. (unless it was running Linux. ;-) )

>Basically, there is a webpage to introduct this MUD, you may look at it...:
>
>http://docs.anarres.org/Playing%3AQuickStart

I may, or I may not. ;-) Seriously, you may want to see if there are any
programming guides that come with your MUD (I've never played with a MUD,
and highly doubt I ever will) and see if there are any special quirks or
gotchas WRT programming clients for that platform.

Google would probably be a good friend, too. Ask him, he knows a heck of a
lot more than me! ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | JC: "Like those people in Celeronville!"
sysadmin, Iceberg Computers | Me: "Don't you mean Silicon Valley???"