[Tutor] programming theology questions

Lloyd Kvam pythonTutor at venix.com
Sat Oct 30 21:00:27 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 12:52, Bob Gailer wrote:
> At 10:21 AM 10/30/2004, Rene Lopez wrote:
> >How many programming languages can safely fit in your head before you
> >get confused, or think it's not worth it?   :-)
>
> My history: machine language (IBM 650, 370) assembler (650, GE415,
> Singer10, IBM370) APL, APL2, Basic, Focal, Fortran, Pascal, PLAS, PLX,
> PL/I, C and C++, dBase-VisualFoxPro, Python, CMS Exec & Exec2, REXX,
> Advanced Revelation R-Basic, Clarion, all versions of MS Word and Excel
> macro languages, Access. I started learning J but got lost.... I've studied
> but not used ADA, Modula II, Snobol, Cobol, Algol.

How did you avoid Java and Perl??

> Rarely have I been confused. It may take a bit to return to one I haven't
> used for a while.

In general, the ideas are related so moving between programming
languages is not that hard.  However, it is much easier to get burned by
language pitfalls when you are just using a language occasionally.
(e.g. == is Perl's numeric comparison. eq is the string comparison. so
"abc" == "def" evaluates as true since both convert to the number zero)

> I have also developed my own languages and tools for manipulating languages.
>
> >Is there any programming language blasphemy?  Like learning C++ and
> >then VB?  Is that a sin or a exercise in insanity?
>
> Ease in writing and reading is high on my list. Hence I have most enjoyed
> APL and Python. I'm still wishing for ways to incorporate some of APL into
> Python. As my buddy says "what is the constraint on you project that keeps
> you from using Python?"
> Bob Gailer
> bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
> 303 442 2625 home