[Tutor] List action

kumar s ps_python at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 3 16:49:15 CEST 2004

Dear group,
 I have a file with p-values, q-values and rank
seperated by a white space:
0.000100848 0.02449766 1
0.000109613 0.02608342 1
0.000113775 0.02653233 1
0.000143877 0.03273097 1

My goal is to write a python program that takes this
file and write a tab delimited text with p-value \t
q-value \t  rank \t.

My Logic:
take this raw file and make a list.

list1[1] = ['0.000100848 0.02449766 1','0.000109613
0.02608342 1','...','...',...... ]

>for i in list1:
        q = i.split()
         print q

['0.000143877', '0.03273097', '1']

I wanted to get the all elements in another variable.

I wrote a function that looks like following:
>>> def element(x):
	for i in x:
		i.split()

>>> k = element(qval)
>>> k

I get nothing in this K. It is empty.

After this I have no idea.

My question:

1. Why I am not getting anything into k. Is my
function element screwed up in definition.

2. After getting a file with all lists in a format
like this:
['0.000100848', '0.02449766', '1']
['0.000109613', '0.02608342', '1']
['0.000113775', '0.02653233', '1']
['0.000143877', '0.03273097', '1']
['0.00014597', '0.03273097', '1']
['0.000149585', '0.0329087', '1']
['0.000159045', '0.03434194', '1']
['0.000176115', '0.03696072', '1']

How do I write each element into a tab delimited text
file.

Can any one please help me.

Thank you in advance
Kumar