[Tutor] design question -- nested loops considered harmful?

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Tue Nov 30 10:46:56 CET 2004

Hi all,

thanks Alan, and Danny, too, for the replies.

Alan Gauld said unto the world upon 2004-11-30 04:21:

<SNiP>

> Hopefully the above paragraph hints at the multitude of compromises
> you have to mentally deal with in writing "good" code. (Usually
> complex code is a sign of complex data and you are best off
> looking at reformatting your data to allow a simpler design!)
> As a beginner it's better to just focus on getting it to work.
> Afterwards you can clean it up as time allows. (As a professional
> you should get it peer reviewed and follow whatever coding
> standards exist in your office...)

Office? ROTFLMAO!

I'm just a duffer having some 'hard fun' :-)  I've certainly tasted some
of those compromises as I stumbled towards trying to have good code.
And, even though it is very much a spare time endeavour for me, I've
also started to see my "style" begin to calcify a bit. Hence the concern
-- unlearning bad habits is hard, but no fun at all.

Thanks again to both. Best,

Brian vdB