[Tutor] Debugging in emacs

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Fri Nov 19 23:27:57 CET 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, McLaughlin, Toby wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Could somebody suggest a way to debug python in emacs?  I'd like to be
> able to single-step while seeing the code marked in some way and
> possiblly set breakpoints.  I read about using pdb from the command line
> but would love to have debugging integrated in emacs.  Perhaps I should
> make life easy for myself and use one of the fancy GUI editors, but I
> think it's character building for me to learn emacs.

Boy, you could hear a pin drop on this topic.

I use emacs, even though I have spent some time with idle, because I
like it much better.  I'm real handy in emacs though, and I don't like
mousing.  Mice cause lots of repetitive stress injury.

I spent some time and some email conversations trying to make use of
the debugger in any environment.  I don't remember what happened
exactly but I gave up.

The thing about an interpreted language is that you can say "print
my_var" in the code instead of in the debugger.  And with emacs, I go
back and forth between my code and the emacs shell to run it.  I'm
pretty efficient that way.

If anyone has any suggestions about debugging, in idle or anywhere, I
too would love to hear them.

Thank you.

Marilyn Davis