[Tutor] demon / app I/F better way ?

Dave S pythontut at pusspaws.net
Sun Nov 14 14:34:27 CET 2004

Hi there,

I am planning a python app but have hit a dilemma.

I have a time critical python app that will be running constantly as a
demon, checking a data web page for updates & archiving any changes.
When a change occurs it needs to signal another python app that new data
has arrived.

OK this is the way I am planning to do this, if there is a neater way
please shout :-D

the demon dumps data in /data/data_new & also changes the state of a
flag /data/data_flag to true when it has found new changes

my main app when it is ready to accept data checks the status of
/data/data_flag every second, if it changes to a true state reads in
/data/data_new & sets /data/data_flag to false, performs processing then
checks /data/data_flag ...

This will work (I think ;-) ) but seems a bit clunky, anyone got a more
elegant solution?

Dave