[Tutor] Help on image creation and display from ASCII files

Gavin Hunt hscl at gotadsl.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 18:08:11 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm a newbie to python and wxpython, recently converting from the excellent
but very costly IDL environment.

I wish to rewrite my IDL program in which separate but consecutive ASCII
output files from my line-scanning camera - each in the form of a CSV file
of 256 * 600 floating point values - are read into a 3D (hyperspectral)
image.  The X and Z dimensions of the image remain the same, i.e. 256
diodes and 600 channels, but the Y dimension obviously increases as the
number of line scans increase.

This image is displayed to screen and refreshed each time a new scan line
is added to the output image.  Only three of the 600 channels available in
the hyperspectral image will be displayed in RGB format.  In addition,
there should be scope to interrogate the image interactively with a cursor
and display a spectral plot (600 channels) of any image pixel.

i) Does anybody have any scripts that can read ASCII files and create an
hyperspectral image?
ii) Ditto scripts to display and refresh the image in real time?
iii) Interact with the image and plot an image spectrum using a cursor to
get the image X, Y co-ordinate?

If not how do I convert between ASCII and image format - easy to do in IDL?
Display the image on a line by line basis?

Thnx

GAH