[Tutor] Multidimensional arrays

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue May 18 13:06:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Prospero wrote:

> I am sure I am missing something obvious here but I cannot see how to
> set up a two-dimensional array. I am hoping it can be done using lists
> of lists, as it were, which would suit my current program as I have
> written it so far. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Prospero,

Making a two-dimensional list is not immediately obviously --- but that's
why there's a FAQ entry about it:

http://python.org/doc/faq/programming.html#how-do-i-create-a-multidimensional-list

*grin*

You're right: the general approach is to use a list of lists.  The only
thing to be careful about is making sure each individual sublist is
separate from the others.

Hope this helps!