[Tutor] Major computer warning. [META: crossposting / mailing list etiquette]

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 28 04:22:40 EDT 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Jonathan Hayward wrote:

> The following is from another list. I've verified it from other sources,
> including http://slashdot.org. What it means is that if you have a PC,
> it is VERY DANGEROUS to use Internet Explorer now.

[Text cut; CC list cut down.  Putting on good-cop-admin hat.]

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the concern and the heads up.  But please try avoid doing that
kind of crossposting.  You may not have realized it, but what you just did
was a netiquette no-no.

    http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html

The idea about Tutor is to keep the list centered mostly on helping people
learn to programming in Python.  There are already plenty of other
reputable places where security warning stuff is publicized, including
CERT:

    http://www.cert.org/

If Python-Tutor just becomes yet another announcement page for anything
and everything technically related, that useful focus of Python-Tutor will
be probably get drowned out.

(Pot calling kettle black: I have to admit that I've screwed up about this
before.  I have made announcements about upcoming Bay Area Python User
Group meetings on Python-Tutor, and for that, I apologize; I was stupid.)

Anyway, I hope this makes sense.  We appreciate the gesture, but it was
unnecessary here.  Crossposting is itself potentially annoying, and we
need to do what we can to avoid stressing folks who are already hard
pressed to figure out why their Python programs aren't doing what they
expect.