[Tutor] How to control list input ?

Glen Wheeler gew75 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 3 17:52:39 EDT 2004

  Hi Michele,

  You can use len(..) to check then length of a list, eg

if len(l) == 10:
    ..
else:
    raise "LengthError"

  Easier on the eyes is:

if len(l) != 10:
    raise ...
<rest of code here>

  There is no real need for you to strictly define the structure of your
list.  Just make sure you check the input for any errors.  Always know what
your functions are getting as input arguments.
  In other words, say you were looking for a list of lists, three lists, of
lengths 3, 9 and 27.  Then something like:

# l is the list of lists
if len(l) != 3 and len(l[0]) != 3 and len(l[1]) != 9 and len(l[2]) != 27:
    raise ...
<rest of code>

  Better would be to write some kind of list-structure-checking function.
But let's leave that as an exercise ;).

  HTH,
  Glen