[Tutor] Python for Windows: module re, re.LOCALE differen t fo r Idle and p ython shell?

Steckel, Ralf Ralf.Steckel at AtosOrigin.com
Thu Jul 29 16:29:58 CEST 2004

Hi Steve,

the locale module led me on the right track:

In Idle 'loc=locale.getlocale(locale.LC_CTYPE)' prints '['de_DE', '1252']'.
In python shell 'loc=locale.getlocale(locale.LC_CTYPE)' prints
'(None,None)'.

Setting the default locale by 'locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')' sets the
locale to ['de_DE', '1252'].

Setting 'de_DE' or 'en_EN' or 'POSIX' always reports 'unsupported locale
setting'. The only other possible locale setting which i got working is 'C'.

By the way if i call in Idle 'locale.getlocale(locale.LC_ALL)' before
setting the LC_ALL i get the following runtime error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Src\Python\wordcount\umlaute.py", line 3, in -toplevel-
    loc = locale.getlocale(locale.LC_ALL)
  File "D:\Python23\Lib\locale.py", line 364, in getlocale
    raise TypeError, 'category LC_ALL is not supported'
TypeError: category LC_ALL is not supported

But nevertheless, by setting the locale to the default locale on a German
Windows OS i get what I want.

Thank you,

Steve!

- Ralf