[Tutor] Re: web applications??

Andrei project5 at redrival.net
Fri Jul 16 08:18:54 CEST 2004

Jeff Peery <jeffpeery <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Is it possible to just execute my wxpython application from our server? or do
I need to write the application in some sort of web-python variation.

No. Well, you can execute it on your server machine, but it won't help anyone.
You can't serve wxPython dialogs over the web.

> If customers can simply execute the application from the web, how do I learn
about how to set this up - is it as simple as uploading the executable and
creating a link?

You'll need to forget the wxPython part, pull out the engine and wrap it up in
something suitable for the web. You could use e.g. Zope or a simple CGI script.
Either way, your server will have to have Python (or Zope) installed. You'll
also need to write a HTML form to allow users to input whatever data they need
to provide. Look in the Python docs for the cgi module (paragraph 11.2).

And if that's too hard for you, you might consider doing it in Javascript -
unless of course it's something complex.

Yours,

Andrei