[Tutor] timer module question

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Thu Jul 1 20:15:02 EDT 2004

Today I've been studying the time module using the Python Library
Reference. As an exercise I thought I'd make a timer script.

What I'd like to get it to do in addition, is tell me every 10 seconds
how many seconds have elapsed while the timer is running. Is there a way
to do this?

Here's what I have. It seems to work well:

=====================================
#timer.py

import time

while True:
     start = raw_input("Press Enter to start timer; enter 0 to close
program "
     t0 = time.time()

     if start == "0":
         print "Timer has been shut down"
         break

     time_now = time.ctime()
     print "Timer has been started at", time_now[11:19], "\n"

     raw_input("Press Enter to stop timer ")
     t1 = time.time()
     elapsed_time = t1 - t0
     time_now = time.ctime()
     print "\nTimer has been stopped at", time_now[11:19]
     print "Time elapsed was", elapsed_time, "seconds"
     print "-------------------------------------\n"
======================================

sample output:

Press Enter to start timer; enter 0 to close program
Timer has been started at 16:37:48

Press Enter to stop timer

Timer has been stopped at 16:40:56
Time elapsed was 188.156000137 seconds

Press Enter to start timer; enter 0 to close program

(Later I'll want to trim the accuracy of the result, and also convert to
hours, minutes, seconds, but I think I'll be able to figure that out.
Being able to turn this into a GUI timer is way down the road for me.)

If it matters, I'm running Python 2.3.4 on Windows XP Pro

Thanks,

Dick Moores