[Tutor] Need suggestions on how to join a Python project.

john fleming fleming.j at comcast.net
Fri Jan 23 20:25:31 EST 2004

hcohen2 wrote:

> Everyone:
>
> I know the standard method: propose patches to existing code.  That
> usually takes a considerable period of time and a skill level I have
> not yet obtained.
>
> I have some free time to really learn python this time, and for me
> working on a real project accerates the process.  The down side would
> be that I would require some extra effort directing my work.  However,
> in the longer term I could become an asset.  Moreover, I have well
> nearly fifteen years experience as a professional coder.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?   (Forget Ask Slashdot, my post was rejected.)

This isn't exactly what you are asking but I have been waiting for an
appropriate way to ask this in a general post. I am still a begging
programer ,python being my first language and the one I would like to
concentrate on. I  have been frustrated with some of  the  lists I have
been on because they consist of dissccusions about little snippets for
begginers or stuff over my head.

   I have a website through an offer from 1&1, and would like to start
an interactive python tutor site
that has members post code and answer questions from newer members (one
of which would be me), and at the same time build an open source
project. I can see the possibilities branch off and mushroom from there.

 My longest range interest is to get an understanding of game engines
with a python api. But that is a
looooonnnng way from where I am an it would probably get past my
understang fast, although
if I were farther along I would  branch the Quake-Darkplaces engine and
build an api to that
so if  anyone is into that sort of thing or headed that way let me know.
I happen to know Joseph
Carter who worked on the port of Quake to linux and he might be willing
to make some suggestions here and there if that project were to jell
somehow. The book on python game programming by Sean Riley might fit
into that somewhere.

  Another thing that would help me would be a networking project that
would offer an opportunity to learn the basics of network programming
with python from the ground up. Maybe start with a chat program as a
tutorial. Then explore the pyblosxom example or various other RSS2 apps
after several newbies were following along sucessfully.

Livewires,or pygsear would also be fun ones to explore starting with
small games and grow as we go.

  So anyone interested?

John F.