[Tutor] graphing and data acquisition

Todd G. Gardner piir at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 13 07:18:07 EST 2004

Don,

I was running Python 2.2.

It works on 2.3.

Thanks!

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: don arnold [mailto:darnold02 at sprynet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 7:00 AM
To: Todd G. Gardner; Tutor at Python. Org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] graphing and data acquisition

----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd G. Gardner" <piir at earthlink.net>
To: "Tutor at Python. Org" <tutor at python.org>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 10:38 PM
Subject: [Tutor] graphing and data acquisition

> Hello everyone,
>
> On Windows XP/2000 :(...
>
> I have written a basic data acquisition and graphing routine building on
> several things so that maybe some day I can use python at work.  It seems
> work really well when I run it in the Boa Constructor enviroment.  It also
> works if I run it directly as a .py and .pyw file.  It seems to lock when
> it runs in the IDLE enviroment.
>
> Any ideas as to whay are the differences between these enviroments?

Which version of Python are you using? Prior to 2.3, both IDLE and your
program would run in a single thread. As a result, IDLE's Tkinter-based
event loop would often (always?) clash with your script's event-processing
loop, bring evertyhing to a screeching halt. The version of IDLE that ships
with Python 2.3  executes your script in its own thread, avoiding this
problem.

> Thanks,
>
> Todd
> --