Re: [Tutor] all the slashes

Magnus Lycka magnus at thinkware.se
Mon Feb 9 15:24:34 EST 2004

> I use the code below in Python 2.3, but in 2.2 it says:
> TypeError: 'in <string>' requires character as left operand

In python versions before 2.3, the in-operator required a
character, i.e. a string of length 1, on the left hand side,
if it had a string on the right hand side.

Escaping is only relevant for back-slashes "\", since they
have a special meaning, such as '\t' meaning the tab character.

The traditional check for substring idiom before 2.3
was:

if long_string.find(sub_string) != -1:
    # found!

--