[Tutor] Newbie trying to understand modules and code reuse

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 18:04:51 EST 2004

>   Although the more recent versions of the C++ language
> do have a limited implementation of namespaces.

Actually its quite a sophisticated namespace mechanism, and in
some ways is better than Pythons(IMHO) - you can add names to a
namespace retrospectively, modify the scope of namespaces, have
multiple namespaces within a file, even within a function etc.

But it is entirely separated from the prinitive #include
functionality borrowed from C which is what I was referring to.

>   #include <iostream.h>
>   cout << "Hello World!\n"
> is now deprecated in favor of
>   #include <iostream>
>   std::cout << "Hello World!\n"

Indeed, although you can work some magic to remove the need
for the std:: but it has similar issues to using

from module import *

in Python.

Alan G.