[Tutor] Looking for some guidance.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 16:36:26 EST 2004

> I'm aware of 2 books that are aimed at people with no previous
> programming experience.  Neither covers everything.  The tutorial
> covers everything, I think.
>
> "Python How to Program" by Deitel, et. al.
>
> "Python Programming An Introduction to Computer Science" by Zelle.

I'll add

Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours
by Ivan van Lanningham

and my own effort

Learn to Program using Python

Ivan's book focusses on teaching Python, mine focusses
on teching programming and just happens (although not by
accident!) to use Python to demonstate the concepts.

None of the 4 will make you an expert although the Dietel
book will cover more topics than the others - and costs a lot more...

> > read, or that maybe there's a tutorial that I'm missing. Is there
> > proven structured path to Enlightenment??

Yes, its called practice!
Seriously the best way to learn to program is to take the examples
in the boooks and extend them in diffreent ways.

If the example prints the 12 times table, change it to print
the 9 times table, then to do it in a different format, then to
print the squares from 1 to 12 instead. Just little changes but
by making those changes you reinforce the ideas and prove to
yourself that you really understand what's happening.

Finally don't try to run before you walk. A GUI interface may
look nice but trying to add one too soon will simply distract
you from the fundamentals.

Alan G.