[Tutor] Problems with class, no output

Dave S pythontut at pusspaws.net
Sun Dec 19 13:11:35 CET 2004

Hello again  :-) ,

This script is very much a work in progress, and I think only the second
time I have tried classes. What I expected it to do was to at least
print 'hi there' so I know its alive, then dump some status info to my
log program. It does zip, executes OK but no output.

I just know you guys are going to tell me I have missed a () or . somewhere

Any help gratefully appreciated
Dave

#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: iso8859_1 -*-

"""
arch_data.py 1.0 This is the read archive data script
"""

from os import listdir
from cPickle import load
from logger import log

from config import data_dir

debug=True

class Arch_data:

    def __init__(self):

        self.file_names=listdir(data_dir)
        self.file_names.sort()
        self.file_name_ptr=0

    def read_next():
        """
        when executed reads next data file from data_dir extracts date,
        time,julian day,sequence count & flag from the file name.

        Also adds last_file flag and contents of file to the list of
returned
        parameters
        """
        print 'hi there'

        file_name=self.file_names[self.file_name_ptr]

        # Ignore the archive_read.py utility script in the data dir
##        if file_name=='archive_read.py':
##            if debug:
##                log('II','arch_data','Ignoring "archive_read.py"')
##            self.file_name_ptr+=1
##            read.next()
##            return

        # Extract info from the encoded filename :-)
        file_yy=file_name[:4]
        file_mm=file_name[4:6]
        file_dd=file_name[6:8]
        file_HH=file_name[9:11]
        file_MM=file_name[11:13]
        file_jj=file_name[14:17]
        file_seq=file_name[18:21]
        file_flag=file_name[22:24]

        if debug:
            log('II','arch_data','unpickling '+file_name)

        pickle_file=open(data_dir+file_name,'r')
        file=load(pickle_file)
        pickle_file.close()

        print
file_yy,file_mm,file_dd,file_HH,file_MM,file_jj,file_seq,file_flag

        self.file_name_ptr+=1

arch_data=Arch_data()
arch_data.read_next