[Tutor] OT?: how to google just the 2.4 tutorial?

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Sun Dec 12 19:43:06 CET 2004

Dick Moores said unto the world upon 2004-12-12 11:53:
> I know how to limit google search results to a single site, but is it
> possible to google just one section of a site?
>
> I'd like to be able to search just the 2.4 tutorial,
> http://www.python.org/doc/2.4/tut/tut.html
> Possible? And if so, how to?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dick Moores
> rdm at rcblue.com

Hey Dick and all,

that's odd. I tried searching with
   site:www.python.org/doc/
and
   site:www.python.org/doc
but neither gave hits. :-(

 From the "Department of there has to be a better way, but . . . ",
try entering something like this into the google search box:
   site:www.python.org inurl:tut string

That will search www.python.org pages with 'tut' in the url that have
'string' in the page body. That doesn't restrict it to 2.4, or non-dev docs.

My best attempt:
   site:www.python.org inurl:tut -inurl:dev inurl:current string
still pulls up hits like <www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/tut/node10.html>
which don't have 'current' in the url. And, adding inurl:node to the
suggested search yields no results, either. I'm not sure why. :-|

So, none of this gets you there, but it does get you closer.

<http://www.google.com/help/operators.html> shows how to use some of the
more esoteric google operators.

You might also check out (and maybe improve)
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/GoogleTips>.

Best,

Brian vdB