[Tutor] cgi script writing a file: permission denied, but only sometimes!

Barnaby Scott barnabydscott at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 17:41:17 CEST 2004

I have a problem with a cgi script, which seems to
work for nearly everyone (including me), but for one
person at least does not.

The fragment of code invloved is below: Obviously
there is a lot more, but it is the line with
file(...).write(...) in it which is not being exectued
and is giving Errno 13: Permission Denied.

    def save(self):
        assert os.getenv('REQUEST_METHOD') == 'POST',
'only POST allowed'
        assert self.existcode != 2, 'Cannot save a
rival version of an automatic page'
        newtext = getattr(self, 'newtext', '')
        if not newtext:
            return self.delete()
        elif newtext != self.gettext():
            self.backup()
            file(self.textfile,'w').write(newtext)
            return self.resend(message='Thank you for
your update')
        else:
            return self.resend()

The file in question has permissions rw-r--r--, and
because the script is running as the owner, this
normally works.

The script is called by a SSI tag.

This problem may be beyond the scope of this list, but
does anyone have any suggestions even where to START
looking for a cause? Why would this work in 99% of
cases but for one particular web user not work?

Any clues gratefully received.