Re: [Tutor] EuroPython Conference in June?

Magnus Lycka magnus at thinkware.se
Tue Apr 27 19:21:05 EDT 2004

Gregor Lingl wrote:
> I certainly would have mastered those obstacles if there had
> been some  real  chance for a  well  attended  "education track". (That's
> what I'm interested in, as a teacher and as author of "Python für Kids").

I don't expect to see a huge gathering of teachers... I know that Anna
Ravenscroft and Steve Alexander have shown interest in educational issues,
and there were four education-related talks at PyCon in Washinton, but I
don't know if any of the PyCon speakers are coming here. "Well attended"
would probably be stretching it...

Actually, if you look through the europython mailing list archives, you
will even see the odd austrian (Jodok Batlogg) involved in the Education
track.

And, both keynote speakers, Guido van Rossum and Mark Shuttleworth, have
shown significant interest in the use of Python in education.

> So until now there is not a single accepted talk for this track and I
> expect that it will be cancelled as it happened last year.

You could make a difference if you submitted a talk... ;)

There are several talks submitted, but a most of them are about using
Python or Zope for administration in the educational system, rather than
about the concept of using Python as an educational tool, so I guess
you are right, in a way, although I think people involved in developing
software for the educational system do have some interests in common with
the Python educators as well.

> That's the reason I won't go there. I find this a very bad situation
> and I not only would like to attend the conference next year but I also
> would try to contribute to the education track if there were chances to
> meet some people with similar interests.

A typical chicken and egg problem it seems. I wonder if there are many
people out there thinking like you, but anyway, I hope to see you among
the speakers next year then. (It's also an opportunity to sell some books!)

> In order that this can happen, it would be necessary - I think - to have
> some planning/contacting activities concerning this track already in winter.

Yep. There is an ongoing discussion on these things in the europython mailing
list, but you might need to

> Perhaps you could listen around a bit there at Göteborg, if there are people
> interested in educational topics, and if there are comments/statements
> in the community about the role of Python in the educational sector.

As I said, Anna *is* interested, not mainly in academic Python education as far
as I know, but in teaching Python as trainer/menter. So am I. Steve has mainly
been involved in developing Python/Zope tools for educational institutions as
far as I know. There are also a few companies that do commercial Python training
(such as Logilab) who comes to EPC.

There were also people looking for trainers at EPC 2003. I was approached by
a representative of a large corporation who wanted me to do Python training
for their employees, but unfortunately, this collided with another assignment
for me, so I couldn't do it.

I can see that both you, Anna and Laura Creighton (who is one of the main
EPC organizers) are active on the edu-sig mailing list. Haven't there been
any discussions about EPC there?

Even if it doesn't happen very rapidly, it seems that Python is getting used
more and more in education (just as elsewhere). I imagine it could well be
possible to reach a critical mass for Python educators in Europe, and to get
a substancial meeting at EPC 2005 if not this year. I imagine it might be a
good idea to join forces between educations in the academical sphere and
trainers in the private sector though.

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN