[Tutor] Beginner

Mike Hansen mhansen at cso.atmel.com
Fri Nov 21 10:30:33 EST 2003

You're going to get favorable points of view when you post to a Python
list. I'm "sold" on Python.
Eric Raymond's article: Why Python? got me interested in Python.

What got me excited about Python was Dive Into Python.

http://diveintopython.org/

The more I read about Python, the more I like it. It just makes sense. I
don't find myself struggling with the syntax. It kinda just flows. It's
very clean.

Another bonus is the Python community. The community is very helpful to
everyone. Newbies aren't looked down on. They are nurtured and shown
where to find resources and nudged in the right direction. I haven't
seen anyone get flamed for asking an obvious question. Usually they are
pointed to a resource that should answer the question or given the
answer politely.

I think Python is easy to learn. It think it's a good language to teach
programming. It's also easy for experienced programmers to get up and
running.

The only con I can find with Python is there really isn't a central
repository for modules like Perl's CPAN. Python's claim of "batteries
included" is nearly true. There are a pile of modules that are included
in the standard distribution of Python and a high percentage of your
needs will be met with what's included. There will be times that you
need something that isn't in the standard modules. Then it becomes a
hunt for the module. The Python Package Index is attempting to resolve
this problem. http://www.python.org/pypi

Try it!

Mike