[Tutor] Unix philosophy

Guillermo Fernandez Castellanos guillermo.fernandez at epfl.ch
Mon Nov 17 13:44:25 EST 2003

hi,

I was having a look at the UNIX philosophy and I readed that:
"Make every program a filter
This makes it easy to build a set of filter components into ``one big
filter.'' Programs can communicate by explicitly reading and writing
files; that is / much / more complex to manage, and requires a lot of
disk I/O for interim output. A set of filters may pass data straight
from memory buffer to memory buffer, avoiding disk altogether."

I was wondering how I could be able to make my python programs work in a
filter mode?

Thanks,

Guille