[Tutor] Creating stock responses to FAQ

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Thu May 8 16:32:01 2003

At 13:50 2003-05-08 -0600, Bob Gailer wrote:
>I'm amazed & delighted at the number and consistency of responses to
>Ellen's "a neewbie at python" request. I hope we have not blown her away
>with the volume or discouraged her.
>
>I'm also concerned that we collectively take so much time to say the same
>thing.

I don't know...

Danny said that we can't do her homework, and pointed her to
the typical beginner resources.

Khai Nguyen said that she was lucky to get this assignment
in Python, since it's easy to learn, and suggested Cogliati's
tutorial.

I suggested that she should try to solve it a small piece
at a time, not to get overwhelmed by it, and noted that it
can be solved very easily (although that solution might not
fully live up to the specification).

I certainly don't think this was a discouraging response.
It's my impression that she asked an honest and friendly
question, and got honest and friendly replies that were as
helpful as they can be...

There are certainly cases where students obviously try to
get school assignments solved under the pretence that it's
not an assignment, and there are a few cases where people
seem to expect that we are some slaves that will work for
free for them. In cases like that, I've sometimes been less
friendly. I think that is appropriate.

Having said all this, a Tutor-FAQ might still be a good
idea. There are certainly frequent questions...

--
Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyckå), magnus@thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se