[Tutor] rfc822.Message [reading emails from mailboxes]

Kristian Rink afterimage@gmx.net
Sun Mar 16 03:57:02 2003

Hi Danny, and thanks lots for the reply...

[snip]
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
[snip]

> > Btw Message "2" is a mail file inside a MH mail spool directory.

> The main problem is that Python has no way of guessing where your MH mail
> spool directory is located!  Some part of your code will need to point
> that location to Python by directory name.

Hmmm, I already thought of something like this, as well. Then again, the
traceback
I got used to appear while interactively running python inside the MH
folder, inside the
same folder where the "2" file is / was located so I thought python would
try to open
the file in the current working directory. Seems it ain't working this
way...

> Instead of directly using rfc822, you probably want to use the 'mailbox'
> module:
>
>     http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-mailbox.html

Okay, I'll take a look at it, thanks. :) Then again, in the end the progam
is thought
to be used to run over messages inside a directory structure created by the
cyrus
IMAP daemon so I wonder if those will be accepted as "mailboxes"...

> If you'd like, I can post up a somewhat extended example of 'mailbox' use
> tomorrow.  I've been working on a Jython program to run the Jakarta Lucene
> text indicer on the Tutor mailing list.  So your question is nicely
> timed... *grin*
>
> The code is still very very rough, so I need another afternoon to polish
> it up and comment it nicely, but if it looks ok, I'd be happy to share it
> on Tutor for feedback.

Would be really appreciated, if you don't mind :) Even an uncommented
listing
would do.

Thanks again, have a nice sunday...

Cheers from Dresden,