[Tutor] languages

Alan Trautman ATrautman@perryjudds.com
Mon Jun 16 12:11:42 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean 'Shaleh' Perry [mailto:shalehperry@attbi.com]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 1:52 AM
To: tutor@python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] languages

On Sunday 15 June 2003 22:16, Vernon Miller wrote:
> I learned this past week, that since I am disabled the state rehab service
> will pay for me to learn a computer language. The school that they
normally
> deal with teaches;
>
> Java
> Visual Basic Net
> Basic
> Cobol
> Visual C++
> A+  ;
> I know almost nothing about any of them, so I would appreciate it if you
> all would give me some advice on which would be better. I am personally
> leaning towards either C++ or Basic. Help me if you can.

I guess I would rank them based on recent job looking but you should check
with area recruiters for where you live.

1. VB .NET partially because you can learn Crystal Reports and might have a
bigger market writing reports right now and (arguably) is the most common
language in use right now. PS I hate working in it but they pay me.

2. Java as IBM seems to be making inroads but check with a local recruiter
is Visual C++ is dominant in your area it might be better.

3. COBOL if you have insurance firms in the area. COBOL dominates insurance
and some large retailers (**get, **mart) is for sure.

4. Visual C++ especially if  .NET and you can get a couple of years worth of
training as it is the hardest/most powerful but you'll learn Visual Studio
which may be of more value.

A+ get a book everything is so standardized very few people are repairing
complex PC problems ($600 gets new PC and it doesn't take much to exceed
that in labour costs and parts)

Basic don't waste your time your resume won't get read.