[Tutor] A rant about Tutor homework policy

Alan Gauld alan.gauld@blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 15 03:56:01 2003

> I agree 100%. Either answer the question or delete it. Who needs a
lecture
> on "you should do you own home work" etc.

Most folks on tutor do just that. A few will reply pointing out
the policy of the list. They do this for any of several reasons,
but two good ones are:

1) They want to discourage the practice since homework requests
   are the equivalent of spam so far as this list goes.

2) They actually want to help the poster by pointing them at
   what is generally a more productive approach

The people on this list are volunteers who want to help people learn.
Despite what some posters may think, many, many studies show that
simply providing an answer does not help people learn. By not
answering
the request we are trying to help! Such altruism may not be
appreciated
at the time, but nonetheless it is done with the best of intentions.

Alan G