[Tutor] where to put configuration files

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Fri Jun 6 21:05:01 2003

On Friday 06 June 2003 16:05, Paul Tremblay wrote:
> I have written a script that requires a configuration file. I have
> written an additional script that configures my setup.py, as well as the
> origninal script, as to where the user decides to put the configuration
> file.
>
> This configuration file is kind of a pain to have to maintain. Is it
> okay to just dump configuration files in /etc, or is this considered bad
> practice?

If you *EVER* intend this to be real software used by real users, yes /etc is
the place to go.  It is probably a good idea to create a subdir and place the
config in there.  Something like /etc/mypackage/foo.conf.