[Tutor] Will there ever be a native python compiler to create pure exe and dll

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Sun Jun 1 21:07:01 2003

At 17:18 2003-06-01 -0400, R. Alan Monroe wrote:
>The job I had in mind was making (or at least, prototyping) vis
>plugins for Sonique. That requires creating .dlls. I suppose I'm stuck
>with C for this task.

You can make a thin wrapper in C, and write the bulk of your code
in Python. See http://www.python.org/doc/current/ext/embedding.html

I don't know anything about Sonique, but I suppose your DLL needs
to implement some well defined interface that Sonique is adapted
to. This could be thin C wrappers that just call Python scripts.
There is an example at doing that at
http://www.python.org/doc/current/ext/pure-embedding.html

I had a brief look at the Sonique web site, and it seems to me
that you should be able to combine the Sonique example vis plugin
code with the some ideas from the Python embedding manual as noted
above, and get something to work. It seems that it should be
fairly straight forward.

Your main problem will probably be conversion of data sent
between Sonique and Python.

If you want to do image processing in Python, have a look at
PIL at www.pythonware.com, and if you are to process a lot
of numbers in matrices, look at Numerical Python, at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy

--
Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyckå), magnus@thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se