[Tutor] Unsure why won't work

Elizabeth Bernert ebernert@crpud.net
Thu Jul 31 14:41:53 2003

--------------060002050206020906060601

I changed the top line to the line the works in my comp to get programs
working, (i.e. #!c:/Python22/python.exe) but that did not work..  Does
anyone have any ideas?

--------------060002050206020906060601

#!usr/bin/python
#
# Usage: python tail.py [file-name]
#
# Continuously look for new data in a file and write it to terminal.  If
# the file name is omitted, standard input is used
#

import sys, time

# Position the file near the end, unless it's pretty small already
def findEof(input):
    import os
    size = os.fstat(input.fileno())[6]
    if (size > 500):
        # seek to 400 bytes from end of file
        print 'seeking back'
        input.seek(-500, 2)

# Infinitely loop looking for new data in file
def tail(input):
    while 1:
        line = input.readline()
        if line == '':
            # empty - wait and try again
            time.sleep(2)
        else:
            # trailing comma to supress newlines (which line already has)
            print line,

# actually begin the code - look for a file name
if len(sys.argv) > 1:
    input = open(sys.argv[1])
else:
    input = sys.stdin