[Tutor] Does Python support a centralized network install?

Jeff Shannon jeff@ccvcorp.com
Wed Jul 30 15:27:01 2003

R. Alan Monroe wrote:

>Can all Windows users on a LAN/WAN cleanly run a central installation of
>Python from a central server? Or is this not really practical? I think
>speed would be an issue but is it supported at all?

This could depend on what you mean by "supported" -- there's (AFAIK) no
attempt to specifically support this, nor do I envision it to be likely.
 However, I imagine that it might be possible to coerce it into working,
within several restrictions.

1) You'd need to use a Python installation that had no dependency on the
registry.  You could have a script on the central server that'd set up
environment variables, though.

2) All users would need to be able to run the same (platform-dependent)
.pyc files.  I'm not sure how much of a limitation this will actually be
-- it might be that all Windows users are okay, or it might be that all
users must be running the exact same version of Windows on similar hardware.

3) You'd be subject to notable lag times and delays.  Depending on the
usage, the half-second delay in accessing a mapped network drive may
cause significant problems.

On the other hand, it would definitely be possible to install Python on
every machine, and set the import path to look for modules/applications
that are located on a central network share.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International