[Tutor] Re: How to stop screensaver from starting up

klappnase klappnase@freenet.de
Tue Jul 29 06:29:02 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:22:29 -0500
Jeff Epler <jepler@unpythonic.net> wrote:

Hello Jeff,

thanks for the feedback.

> For systems using xscreensaver, see xscreensaver-command(1).
>
> You could use
>     xscreensaver-command -throttle
> to force screen blanking (not screensaver) when the system is idle
> or
>     xscreensaver-command -exit
> to force the screensaver process to exit.  In the former case, you would
> use
>     xscreensaver-command -unthrottle
> to restart the screensaver, and in the latter case
>     xscreensaver -nosplash
> in the latter.
>
> This is not robust if multiple processes all try to manipulate the
> screensaver without some additional kind of locking.

I know this, but what I had in mind was, if there is a possibility to disable the screensaver directly
from within python/tkinter just as long as a certain process in my application is running
(it's the recording issue I had posted here some time ago, there seems to be a memory leak
every time a screensaver starts up). The basic problem is that the xscreensaver-command will not
work if someone uses kde-screensavers.
I am sorry if this is a silly question, may be what I want is not really possible at all.
I just thought this might be an easier way to solve this recording problem, if my application
could "grab" the screen while recording is running, than trying a workaround for the snack recording function.

Best regards and thanks again

Michael