[Tutor] Re: Question about connections

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Thu Jan 23 10:23:01 2003

--gj572EiMnwbLXET9

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:16:36PM +0100, Charlie Clark wrote:
| Indeed but it seems important how you feed the MTAs

That can be an important factor.  Suppose you feed the MTA a single
address at a time.  The MTA must then handle each copy of the message
as if it is an entirely separate message.  If, however, you tell the
MTA that the message is being delivered to an entire list of
addresses, then for one thing it will have fewer messages on the queue
to deal with, and it can optimize the transfer to other hosts by
sending the message once with multiple recipients.

| I've started looking at how Mailman handles this and will probably
| start my discussions there.

I recommend using mailman to handle the list and postfix to handle the
mail.  With my current setup (which only handles small lists so I
haven't optimized it) mailman passes the message to the MTA separately
for each recipient.  It does this because I like the idea of using the
return address to identify which list member has delivery problems.
The return address looks like "list-name+user=3Ddomain@mydomain".  I
believe that if I look into using the VERP extension to SMTP then the
mailman can inject only a single copy of the message to the MTA and
still take advantage of the unique return addresses.  The other
optimization alternative is to have a single return address and
mailman must then try parsing out the message to determine which
address had a delivery failure.

HTH,
-D

--=20