[Tutor] Interface

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 19:20:29 EST 2003

> Basically, i am a beginner. I was wondering if Pyton has a GUI
> interface like VB to develope applications rather than coding
in
> IDLE??

There are several GUI interface builders but the code to make
it function still needs to be written in the same way as VB
event handlers are. However many(most?) Python programs are
not GUIs so the need for a GUI builder is less. Also the
Python GUI tooklits are higher level than the VB type one,
there is less dependence on physical locations and sizes so
its faster (albeit more challenging!) to build GUIs without
drag n drop type GUIs.

Some GUI builders you may like include Glade, BlackAdder,
pyCard(??), and another from ActiveState that I've forgotten!

There's also an old one for Tkinter called Specpy( an
adapted SpecTcl) which is not supported any more but still
worked last time I tried.

Alan G.