[Tutor] upgrade

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Mon Aug 25 14:04:45 EDT 2003

Kirk Bailey wrote:
> when I *DO* finally upgrade Critter, should I go to 2.1,2.2, or the new
> and improved 2.3? Is the latest edition declared STABLE?

The answer to this, of course, is "it depends".  Do you require
particular third-party extensions, and if so, are they available for
2.3?  Is there any critical applications that you're running that
break under some of the backwards-incompatibilities introduced in 2.3?
(This isn't likely, but it is possible.)  Presuming that neither of
these issues are a problem, then there's little reason to use any
"older" versions of Python.  If either of these are a problem, then
you'll want to install (the latest bugfixed release of) 2.2 -- IIRC,
PythonLabs has declared that they will keep supporting 2.2 for quite
some time, whereas they've dropped direct support of 2.0 and 2.1, and
almost every third-party extension packages that you'd be interested
in will already be available for it.  (Note, however, that there's
some backwards-incompatibilities introduced between 1.6 and 2.2, so
you'll want to test everything right away regardless of whether you
choose 2.2 or 2.3 ...)

2.2 is the more conservative choice, but 2.3 should be stable and
ready for production use as well.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International