[Tutor] [Long]General Questions

Justin Heath justin at unixremedies.com
Tue Aug 12 10:25:10 EDT 2003

Sukrit K Mehra wrote:

>Hi Pythoners,
>
>I am new to programming and in need of some advice.
>
>Background:
>I have a system adminstration background. I want to learn *programming*.
>I just read "How to think like a computer scientist: Python".
>
>Computer Science:
>How do I go about learning the following, keeping in mind I have no exams to
>pass, using python.
>a Algorithms
>b Data Structures
>
>After these what else could be nearly as practically rewarding?
>
>Engineering:
>I want to be productive asap and I believe I need these python skills
>- Threads
>- Unix Sys Calls
>- Reg Ex
>- Network Programming
>- Wxpython/ gtk-python
>- CGI
>- Web Clients
>- DataBase connectivity
>
>What would a smallish project in which I could use most of these skills
>(I thought of a mail client but it's boring and it's ... boring; I learn
>faster when I am *NOT* writing programs that compute factorials of
>numbers.)
>
>Ulimate Goals:
>- To learn to think in terms of OO/procedural paradigms as need be.
>- Develop good *progamming* skill so as to pick up any resume building
>language like Java, C, C++ Visual Basic, Php, whatever.
>
>Projects:
>I have been trying to learn programming in vain for a long time now. I
>never get beneath the surface of it because I never find anything to do.
>Can anyone recommend me to some project where I can apprentice? I should
>head for sourceforge? That has never works! Finding a project isn't
>easy, atleast it has been difficult for me.
>
>thanks for your time.

I also am a sysadmin starting in Python. I can tell you as a sysadmin
there are always parts of your systems/os/tools that you are not 100%
happy with. This is a good place to start. For example rather than
having your log files mailed and trolling through them every day write a
program to parse the log files extract the info you want to see and then
mail it to you. Write some sripts to keep track of user accounts when
thier passwords were last changed an thier activities. Write some
programs to send you info in disk usage, load, etc. When you have the
tools written expand upon them by making the reporting web based. When
you are done with that make them into a GUI. I think you see where I am
going here. You need to find a goal "YOU" want to accomplish. Start
small and build from there. It doesnt matter how small the programs are
as long as you start them and see them to completion. The only way to
learn anything is hands on, so just get in  and get your hands dirty.

Thanks,
Justin