[Tutor] wiki madness grows one you like a brain fungus [regex refinements, re.sub() can take in a subst. function]

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at comcast.net
Sun Aug 10 19:06:43 EDT 2003

On Sunday 10 August 2003 09:07, Kirk Bailey wrote:
> `Lo Dan, how's tricks?
>
> Dan, when I get a grip on re and how it works, and the many tricks it can
> play, I will write stuff in it. My prob is it is as clear as mud to me.
>
> I accept the suggestions and code. But understanding them is another
> matter.
>
> mayhaps we should start a thread on 'INTRODUCTION TO RE'? Anyone intrested
> can hop in and participate in the confusion?

don't walk, run to your local bookstore and purchase O'Reilly's outstanding
book "Mastering Regular Expressions".  Take a week and give it a good read.
Every day after that will be a more productive one. Honest.

Yes it focuses on languages other than Python.  But in the end everyone uses a
variant of Perl5 regex.  Read for the way of thinking and the regex syntax,
just ignore the icky $%@&*.