[Tutor] Comments wanted on new Python introduction

Alan Gauld alan.gauld@blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 04:47:01 EDT 2003

> The second suggestion is really a plea: More editorial judgment,
please.
> You know this stuff far better than we do; we'd be grateful if you
would
> tell us what you think we should do, based on what you know and we
don't.

I'm not sure that's a valid assumption. The folks running the
Python site can't really be expected to go through every
tutorial that gets written, they simply note their existence.

Even if they did beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder.
When learning Smalltalk I tried 4 different books/tutorials before
I eventually found one that worked for me. All of the others had
been strongly recommended by other programmers who thought
they were great...

The only tutorial that could (or should) realistically be
recommended on the web site is the official one IMHO. Its the
only one that carries an official stamp and gets updated
to keep it in step with new releases.

Even my own tutor is still aimed at v1.5.2. And some of the
translations of it haven't been updated since they were written.
They are still useful since its better to have an old tutor
in youur own language than a current one you can't read properly!
(Incidentally I have just started the major work of updating
my English version of the tutor to 2.3)

Alan G