[Tutor] OT: Notion of persistence in Python

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Mon Oct 28 16:40:31 2002

On Monday 28 October 2002 13:13, McCarney, James Alexander wrote:
> If this is terribly OT, I apologize. I've been googling the web for
> information on persistence. On the one hand I've come up with hits galo=
re,
> but on the other hand no one seems to be explaining what it is and its =
use.
> Is this a notion that is not Pythonic, wrt the use of the language? Or =
is
> it more of a functional Scheme type thing?

"persistence" is a way to create some data/thing in a language and have i=
t=20
exist between executions of a program.  So if you have a program which ha=
s a=20
list of sports teams and scores and stored them in a persistent object ev=
ery=20
time the program loads it could simply pick back up where it left off. =20
Without persistence you would dump the list to a file (perhaps) and then=20
parse the file on the next program run.

Sometimes this approach makes sense, sometimes it doesn't.  It is not a P=
ython=20
or Scheme specific idea though.