[Tutor] assigning types(?) to list elements

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:20:46 +0100

WARNING: Untested code!

> for each_line in file_handle.readlines() :
>         each_line = each_line.rstrip() # strip off carriage return
>         temp1, temp2, temp3, temp4, temp5, temp6 =
>                                            string.split(each_line)
          vals = string.split(each_line)
          types = [float,int,float,float]
          for i in range(2,len(types)):
            vals[i] = types[i](vals[i])  # convert types
          temp1,temp2,temp3,temp4,temp5 = vals # assign to vars

Not wonderful, I suspect there is a better pythonic way to do it,
but it is at least extensible...

Is that any better?

Alan g.
Author of the 'Learning to Program' web site