[Tutor] self installing, or lifting by one's own bootstraps.

Kirk Bailey idiot1@netzero.net
Sun, 06 Oct 2002 00:41:54 -0400

I am writing a script.
Woo boy, there's news. alert the media, someone! ;-P

But wait; it's a sh/bourne shell script. :-O

It exists to install tinylist for you. Locates where the interpeter is, and
places that shebang on the first line of the scripts of the suite, builds your
config file, creates your first list, all that good stuff. Just answer a few
simple questions and it's done.

As soon as I eat the last cockroach. |-(

It's an interesting bootstrap problem- not knowing where python is living in J
Random User's box, and assuming rather minimal skills on the web master's part,
how do we get the thing in there, executing, installed, and nicely set up- real
simple and easy? Can't be written in python, as we MUST assume THE USER DOES NOT
KNOW WHERE IT IS OR HOW TO FIND IT. And automating the process of creating the
shebang and adding it to the incompleted script REALLY reduces typo errors by a
novice.

But all the FreeBSD world, and even linux, mounts the sh shell. So there's the
tool. But I have a minor problem, a for loop is barking at me.

for FILE in `ls -1 TL*.p`
        cat /tmp/python $FILE > ./$FILEy

it gets me some rather cryptic messages: (the first 3 lines are normal output to
the user.)
Item #6:
Add the interpeter shebang to each TLscript source file,
creating the final interpeted executable script.
./testscript: 66: Syntax error: word unexpected
ns#

Any shell script  mavens care to graciously give me a clue?

When complete, this will be coming with TL1.5.0, and is the major difference in
this version. Sorry windows fans, will have to devlop a batch file for you
later, probably call it V:1.5.5.

--

end

Respectfully,