[Tutor] Re: Python in education

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Wed Nov 20 17:28:15 2002

--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 03:01:42AM +0100, Magnus Lycka wrote:
| We obviously have some students in the mailing list.
| (Come on now, don't be shy.)
|=20
| I'm curious. How much is Python used in education?
| Did you have to use python or could you use a language
| of your choice? At what level is python used in education,
| how central is it to the education, what kind of courses
| is it used in? What books do you use? How do you like it?

So far (5th year, Software Engineering, RIT, I graduate in May) the
only time I've used python in school was in a course where we were
allowed to choose our implementation and I managed to convince the
rest of my group that it would work well for us.  We ended up using
jython and a swing GUI and Moshe's "pms" package.  The unfortunate
part for us is that due to jythonc limitations the GUI couldn't be
written in Java (which is what the rest of the group knew).

I don't use any books, but then again I knew how to program before I
heard of python and as such Guido's tutorial and the library reference
was sufficient for me.

I like python a lot and wish I could use it more :-).  Speaking of
which, a friend has asked me to develop a point-of-sale system for his
small business.  I intend to use python for it, and am considering
using Zope for the backend and ncurses and xml-rpc for the thin
clients using.

-D

--=20
The lot is cast into the lap,
but its every decision is from the Lord.
        Proverbs 16:33
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN