[Tutor] Need *Python Help* help

dman dman@dman.ddts.net
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:50:44 -0600

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 07:21:39AM -0800, binary_star wrote:
| Thank you. This satisfied my need for *help* files. Unfortunately, I still
| am at a loss as regards setting Python's /environment variable/ to reflect

*Python* doesn't do anything with help files.  *IDLE* (or Pythonwin or
whatever IDE you choose) might.

| the location of said *help* files. There was some documentation about it in
| the *help* files themselves (naturally enough), but even what was there did
| not actually tell me how to find it or access it (at least, not so I was
| able to tell; I realize that it is very likely an incredibly easy thing to
| find if one has knowledge of such things).

Setting environment variables is an OS thing, not a python thing.  Are
you using Win9x/ME?  If so (actually, I'm not sure about ME) then put
    set NAME value
in c:\autoexec.bat and reboot.  For example

    set PYTHONDOCS c:\the\directory\i\downloaded\the\docs\to

| Anyway, at least now I have access to Python's *help* files when I
| need it.

Yeah, I just use my web browser to view them.  (I failed to mention,
too, that I don't use windows and I use 'gvim' as my editor.  The
"help" menu there talks about gvim, not python or C or java :-))

-D

--

Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise.